Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Early morning Farm Hunt

I got up early on Saturday morning and decided to get out in the bush for a couple of hours.
I started where I left off last time, having found an old spoon. And a good choice it was because within the first 5 minutes I had a crisp, clear signal screaming at me through the headphones.
Cool !  I never did find a whistle before. This picture is taken prior to cleaning, once cleaned it worked like a charm hehehe, now I have something to freak the kids out with when their screaming gets too much!
The whistle was not that deep , probably only 10 cm or so. I found it close to the base of a tree along side a stream.
It says "The Hustler" Made in England on the front ....and it is going to look great in a display case!

Well it was not much of a wait and another signal indicated a target beckoning to leave Mother Earth, this time a more broken and fainter signal, but still giving a fairly high tone and sounding worth the effort.
Well you guess is as good as mine but it is a coin. Judging from the level of deterioration it has been there for a while. I scanned the hole again and there was still a good signal. Now it's getting interesting hehe! I love it when you get more than one target in a hole...you see the work is already done as the hole is open....now the reward just doubled!
Okay so I scratched around a bit more and  turned out to be another coin. Also completely destroyed but this one has the remnants of  word......"PENNY". I am not sure if you can see it but if you have a closer look you will see the word appears along the outer edge on the top right hand of the coin.
This leads me to believe that it may be an 1800's Penny , which would explain the condition of these coins in relation to ....the next target. This time another coin but from 1943.
Now this coin is from well before my time so I am not too sure but it has a ship on the face and I think it may be a half cent. Anyway it has stood up to Father Time a lot better than the previous pair.

I decided to cross the road and search beneath an oak tree that I have been eying for some tine now.
Well it seems like I was on a roll and the targets kept on coming. The first target under the tree was a bullet case....mind you so was the next one....right next to it. They appear to be .22 cal shells and they have been lying there for a while...
I moved closer to the base of the tree and immediately started getting a fairly strong signal, but broken and annoying so I decided to give it a bash. I don't know what it is....some kind of "partefact" But when I looked at it the first time , from this angle....
...it had  looked like a small figurine of some sort. Well it isn't, it is a some kind of link or machine/implement part.....Moving on.....next up was a small nugget of metal that I was hoping to be a button...but alas, more junk I am afraid.
Bullet shells, partefact and suspected button.
I
The next half an hour was quiet and uneventful . Then the scream was back, and what a nice sounding target...
it had a nice shrill sound to it and it did not skip a beat once, just a solid repeatable ping every time I scanned the area. The detector was telling me that it was about 13 inches down and the digging was a mission in the hardened ground. Once I had a 13 inch...ish hole I scanned again and found that it was out of the hole.
When I first spotted it I could hardly believe what I was holding.....

A nice set of wings. Not a common find around these parts, I can assure you! Man this is a nice find....something you can research and date and another awesome show piece.
I dropped it in my soft pocket which is a dedicated pocket that only gets the really nice finds, to avoid scratches and damage.....going to clean that up later.
The last two targets of the day came in quick succession and turned out to be this 1965 Afrikaans 2c (above)
And a nice 1945 Tickey pictured below. Being silver the Tickey will clean up as good as new.

So I had been at it for 2 and a half hours and I was rather chuffed with the finds. It just goes to show that this site still holds some awesome little treasures just waiting for the coil to reveal their hiding place.
The wings cleaned up nicely and turned out to be WW2 issue SAAF shoulder wings, the fact that the birds head faces to the right tells me that this is probably the badge that was worn on the right shoulder ...so that the bird faces forward.
Any way it is a find that I will remember for the rest of my metal detecting days. Here is what they looked like after a wash and a little (gentle)scrub.
Okay well that concludes another hunt. Thanks for checking it out and do feel free to contact me should you have any questions relating to this hobby or to the actual finds.

I think Bushpig and I will be out on the beach again this Sunday morning as the tides are getting to their lowest point now.
Cheers
Oscar

No comments:

Post a Comment